Friday 27 January 2012

6 Myths about Results-Only Work Environment

It was funny yesterday, when I showed up at the office, one of my non-Workplace 2.0 colleagues joked "You're actually working today!?" We hadn't seen each other in-person for a while, and clearly when they can't see me, they assume I am not working...  I was a little taken aback, but before I could respond one of the ladies on my team yelled from the collaboration space, "That's SLUDGE!"

I was so proud! It was another confirmation for me that our pilot members have really paid attention to the recommended readings, listened to all the conversations, discussions and feedback we had been trying to share with them! Our Workplace 2.0 initiative really will not work if we don't have buy-in from the participants.

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to meet Cali Ressler and Jody Thompson last year at an event held by the City of Calgary at Heritage Park. These ladies (pictured left) are the 'inventors' of the ROWE concept, and inspired my team and I to create our 'workplace of the future'... Later known as Workplace 2.0
Cali and Jody co-authored one of my favorite books, Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It, which I have previously blogged about. In the book, they define SLUDGE as: "the negative commentary that occurs naturally in a workplace and is based on outdated beliefs about time and work" (page 30). The ROWE concept is based on 'smashing the clock' and not working on a time-based schedule, but a results-based schedule. This 'paradigm shift' is bound to conjure up some sludge in your workplace, so prepare for how you are going to deal with that before implementing.

Cali and Jodi's new company CultureRX has a blog, which is a fantastic source of information To start you off, I want to direct you to one of my favorite articles: 6 Myths about Results-Only Work Environment.

ta ta

No comments:

Post a Comment